Home Care workers deserve better pay and respect at work. Join our fight to fix home care:
Your Union for HOME care workers
If you work in Home Care – United Workers Union (UWU) is your union!
UWU represents over 150,000 workers from all walks of life across Australia. Throughout our history, we’ve shown when working people come together, we win.
We fight hard for jobs you can count on, decent pay and conditions, and respect at work. Your union is here to help you – providing a range of quality services, benefits and representation when you need it.
Now is the time to join together with your colleagues and take action to improve home care.
Here you can connect with fellow home care union members, and get involved in our campaign.
Home care workers united
what were fighting for:
- Clear entitlement to paid time in which to perform the scheduling and administrative duties required to effectively perform your roles
- Paid and appropriate training
- Fair and transparent rosters
- A classification structure that recognises your skills, qualifications and experience.
- New wage rates that provide the recognition and respect that care workers deserve.
- Proper pay for higher duty appointments
- Protections that ensure part time workers can rely on consistent and fair hours of work, and are recognised for being on call or subject to changes in appointments.
- Clear regulation of the use of broken shift arrangements.
- Entitlement to travel allowances and travel time pay
- A regular worker consultation meeting that allows for engagement and consultation with both the Union and your employer
- Access to your rights, access for union delegates to speak with new workers and in team meetings
- Financial transparency and accountability for providers to ensure profits are not put ahead of quality care
ENDORSE THE HOME CARE DEMANDS
Sign your support for our four demands to Fix Home Care:
Join the union for Home Care workersjoin your union
Standing united as thousands of Home Care workers we can change our sector for the better!
union member benefits
Join millions of working Australians standing together for a better deal at work.
Unions were started for workers, by workers to give them a stronger voice at work and in the community. Unions collectively bargain for better pay and conditions, provide representation at work, and engage in community and political campaigns that impact members’ lives. Joining the union is joining a collective, standing together for a better future.
United Workers Union (UWU) is the union Home Care workers in Australia.
Our coverage extends across:
- New South Wales
- Australian Capital Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
- Northern Territory
If you’re unsure or have any questions, get in touch with us here.
If you work in Home Care in another state, you can find your union through the ACTU here.
No. The Fair Work Act 2009 states that in Australia, everyone has the right to be a member of a union. Your employer cannot discriminate against you or prevent you from being a member, or from seeking help from your organiser or local union office.
In fact if your employer or manager is discouraging you from joining your union – that is the strongest indication that you need union protection.
If you’re particularly worried about your situation, call our friendly Membership Services Team to discuss.
Union membership fees change slightly based on where you work and what you’re paid – most membership fees are $13.25 a week. The join form will display the right fee grade once you enter your occupation information, before you submit your details.
Yes, union membership is 100% tax deductible!
When joining online you can select to pay either by credit/debit card, or via direct debit.
You can also select your payment frequency: weekly, fortnightly, or monthly, so you can align it with your pay cycle.
Unions are run to benefit their members, not for profit. Membership fees are used to provide services and advocate on behalf of members, like representation and legal support, training and development opportunities, expert information, collectively bargain on behalf of workers, and run community/political campaigns to further our members interests (like our Fix Home Care campaign!).
Already a union member and looking to get active in the campaign?
There are many opportunities this year to bring others along on the journey to win a real deal for home care workers.