SECURE JOBS YOU CAN COUNT ON
EVERY DAY UWU WORKERS ORGANISE FOR SECURE JOBS
The details may look a bit different if you’re working in Aged Care or Logistics, but all UWU workers have one thing in common: We’re all in the fight for jobs you can count on.
For several decades the power gap between employers and workers has been widening. This has resulted in increased levels of insecure work and the erosion of conditions and entitlements that were once the norm. Every worker should have a job they can count on. No-one should have to live shift-to-shift with no guarantee of ongoing work.
TOGETHER, UWU MEMBERs ARE ORGANISING FOR:
1 Better rights and protections for casuals and conversion from labour hire to permanent roles.
2 Rights and protections for workers on temporary migration visas.
3 An overhaul of the on-demand economy.
4 Universal paid sick leave and pandemic leave for all workers, regardless of the number of hours or the nature of their work.
5 To raise the minimum wage to a living wage.
What does a secure job look like?
A secure job means:
- knowing you have work next week or knowing what hours you can rely on
- knowing you can take sick leave or carer’s leave to look after family when you need to
- being able to plan and save for a holiday or have the certainty to cover the rent or mortgage
- feeling safe enough to speak up at work
- having a life outside of worrying if you can make ends meet
- having a say in your working conditions
- the chance to be trained and develop in your role
It’s what everyone should be able to expect for their hard work.